SAV'AGE, a. [L. silva, a wood, or silvicola, an inhabitant of a wood, or silvaticus.]
1. Pertaining to the forest; wild; remote from human residence and improvements; uncultivated; as a savage wilderness.
Cornels and savage berries of the wood.
2. Wild; untamed; as savage beasts of prey.
3. Uncivilized; untaught; unpolished; rude; as savage life; savage manners.
What nation since the commencement of the christian era, ever rose from savage to civilized without christianity?
4. Cruel; barbarous; fierce; ferocious; inhuman; brutal; as a savage spirit.
1. A human being in his native state of rudeness; one who is untaught, uncivilized or without cultivation of mind or manners. The savages of America, when uncorrupted by the vices of civilized men, are remarkable for their hospitality to strangers, and for their truth, fidelity and gratitude to their friends, but implacably cruel and revengeful towards their enemies. From this last trait of the savage character, the word came to signify,
2. A man of extreme, unfeeling, brutal cruelty; a barbarian.
3. The name of a genus of fierce voracious flies.
SAV'AGE, v.t. To make wild, barbarous or cruel. [Not well authorized and little used.]
E_WARNING Error in file »Unknown« at line 0: Unknown: open(/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data//sess_r98auprqq10d0i0rb2b13moaa1, O_RDWR) failed: Disk quota exceeded (122)
E_WARNING Error in file »Unknown« at line 0: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data/)
#0 - file - UNKNOWN( - line - UNKNOWN): ErrorHandler(2, 'Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data/)', 'Unknown', 0, NULL)