RAPE, n. [L. rapio, raptus. See Rap.]1. In a general sense, a seizing by violence; also, a seizing and carrying away by force, as females.2. In law, the carnal knowledge of a woman forcibly and against her will.3. Privation; the act of seizing or taking away.And ruin'd orphans of thy rapes complain.4. something taken or seized and carried away.Where now are all my hopes? oh, never more shall they revive, nor death her rapes restore.5. Fruit plucked from the cluster.6. A division of a county in Sussex, in England; or an intermediate division between a hundred and a shire, and containing three or four hundreds.
RAPE, n. [L. rapa, Gr.]A plant of the genus Brassica, called also cole-rape and cole-seed, and of which the navew or French turnip is a variety.The broom-rape is of the genus Orobanche.
RAPE, n.1 [L. rapio, raptus; It. ratto; Fr. rapt; W. rhaib, a snatching; rheibiaw, to snatch. See Rap.]
- In a general sense, a seizing by violence; also, a seizing and carrying away by force, as females. – Mitford.
- In law, the carnal knowledge of a woman forcibly and against her will. Blackstone.
- Privation; the act of seizing or taking away. – Chapman.
And ruin'd orphans of thy rapes complain. – Sandys.
- Something taken or seized and carried away.
Where now are all my hopes, oh, never more / Shall they revive, nor death her rapes restore. – Sandy.
- Fruit plucked from the cluster. – Ray.
- A division of a county in Sussex, in England; or an intermediate division between a hundred and a shire, and containing three or four hundreds. – Blackstone.
RAPE, n.2 [Ir. raib; L. rapa, rapum; Gr. ῥαπυς; D. raap; G. rübe; Sw. rofva.]
One of the names of the Brassica Rapa, or common turnep. This is the plant to which this name properly belongs; but, with the prefixed epithet wild, it is applied also to the Brassica Napus, Navew, or French turnep. An oil is obtained from the seed of the latter, which is called rape-seed-oil, and rape-oil. The broom-rape is of the genus Orobanche.
- Fruit, as
grapes, plucked from the cluster.
- The act of seizing and carrying away by force;
violent seizure; robbery.
- To commit rape upon; to
- To rob; to
- One of six divisions
of the county of Sussex, England, intermediate between a hundred and a
- A name given to a variety or to
varieties of a plant of the turnip kind, grown for seeds and herbage.
The seeds are used for the production of rape oil, and to a limited
extent for the food of cage birds.
- The refuse stems and skins of grapes or
raisins from which the must has been expressed in wine
- Sexual connection with a woman
without her consent. See Age of consent, under Consent,
- A filter containing the above refuse, used
in clarifying and perfecting malt, vinegar, etc.
- That which is snatched away.
- Movement, as in snatching; haste;