OCCA'SION, n. s as z. [L. occasio, from oceido, to fall; ob and cado.]
1. Properly, a falling, happening or coming to; an occurrence, casualty, incident; something distinct from the ordinary course or regular orders of things.
2. Opportunity; convenience; favorable time, season or circumstances.
I'll take th' occasion which he give to bring him to his death.
Use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh. Gal. 5.
Sin taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me.
3. Accidental cause; incident, event or fact giving rise to something else. What was the occasion of this custom?
Her beauty was the occasion of the war.
4. Incidental need; casual exigency; opportunity accompanied with need or demand. So we say, we have occasion for all our resources. We have frequent occasions for assisting each other.
The ancient canons were well fitted for the occasion of the church in its purer ages.
My occasions have found time to use them toward a supply of money.
1. To cause incidentally; to cause; to produce. The expectation of war occasions a depression in the price of stocks. Consumptions are often occasioned by colds. Indigestion occasions pain in the head. Heat occasions lassitude.
2. To influence; to cause.
If we inquire what it is that occasions men to make several combinations of simple ideas into distinct modes -
E_WARNING Error in file »Unknown« at line 0: Unknown: open(/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data//sess_fsppfe5pno2rc7l12tepm24sv0, O_RDWR) failed: Disk quota exceeded (122)
E_WARNING Error in file »Unknown« at line 0: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data/)
#0 - file - UNKNOWN( - line - UNKNOWN): ErrorHandler(2, 'Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data/)', 'Unknown', 0, NULL)