1. To compute; to reckon; to add, subtract, multiply or divide any sums, for the purpose of finding the amount, difference, or other result. This, to calculate the expenses of erecting a house, is to estimate and add together the several sums which each part of the materials and the work will cost.
2. To ascertain by the use of tables or numbers; as, to calculate an eclipse.
3. To form tables upon mathematical principles, as logarithms, ephemerides, &c.
4. To compute the situation of the planets at a certain time, for astrological purposes; as, to calculate the birth of a person.
5. To adjust by computation; to fit or prepare by the adaptation of the means to the end; as, to calculate a system of laws for a free people. Religion is calculated for our benefit.
CALCULATE, v.i. To make a computation; as, we calculate better for ourselves than for others.
In popular use, this word is often equivalent to intend or purpose, that is, to make arrangements, and form a plan; as, a man calculated to go a journey. This use of the word springs from the practice of computing or estimating the various circumstances which concur to influence the mind in forming its determinations.
E_WARNING Error in file »Unknown« at line 0: Unknown: open(/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data//sess_nncii4e1fftr9vt260rn3mlge0, O_RDWR) failed: Disk quota exceeded (122)
E_WARNING Error in file »Unknown« at line 0: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data/)
#0 - file - UNKNOWN( - line - UNKNOWN): ErrorHandler(2, 'Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/mshaffer/_common_/session_data/)', 'Unknown', 0, NULL)